For almost 300 years Jews lived in the town of Bardejov, Slovakia. By the 1920s Jews made up 34 % of the total population of Bardejov. Just before World War II, almost every house and business on the beautiful Town Square was owned and operated by a Jewish family.
Then, in 1942, when Slovakia was a puppet government under the influence of Hitler’s Germany, over 3,000 Jews from Bardejov were deported on trains that led most to concentration camps and their ultimate deaths.
Bardejov is now a “town without Jews” but it remains rich with Jewish history.